Photo: Colombian mine collapse
Rescue teams recovered the bodies of four men and three women from the illegal mine that collapsed last week in the southwestern Colombian province of Cauca, emergency management officials said.
The teams are searching for the bodies of six other people reported missing following the mine collapse last Wednesday, Cauca emergency management office director Maj. Juan Carlos Sandoval told Efe by telephone.
The seven bodies were the first found since the accident and were discovered after more than 48 hours of searching, Sandoval said.
The official casualty list from the mine collapse stands at 10 dead, two injured and six missing, the Cauca emergency management chief said.
“We have 10 (bodies), we are missing six, based on the list,” Sandoval said, adding that the search would continue.
The collapse at the Agua Limpia mine occurred on Wednesday night in a rural area outside the city of Santander de Quilichao.
The mine where the accident happened is an open pit and the slope collapsed, burying the miners, officials said.
Many people enter the mine at night to avoid being detected by police because they are breaking the law, Santander de Quilichao emergency management office director Graciela Tovar told RCN La Radio last Thursday.