The Hispanic Heritage Organization is hosting its annual Hispanic Heritage 2010 Essay Contest. The Hispanic Heritage Organization, founded in 1994 to enhance education and cultural awareness for Hispanics and non-Hispanics each year celebrates Hispanic Heritage month (September 15th through October 15th) by hosting a variety of events.
This year’s essay topic is “The importance of education for Latino children and adults.” Essays may be written in English or Spanish. The contest is open to all students in the State of Illinois from grades 4 through 12 as well as college and adult education students. 17 winners will be selected. Entries must be submitted with an entry form on or before Tuesday, August 31, 2010. Winners will be announced on Friday, September 17, 2010, during the Opening Ceremony. This is an excellent opportunity for those students seeking additional school funds to continue their education.
This year’s sponsors are: Adler Planetarium, Art Institute of Chicago, Brookfield Zoo, City Colleges of Chicago, Chicago Bulls, Chicago Children’s Museum, Chicago History Museum, College of DuPage, Dominick’s, Extra, The Field Museum, Prudential, Shedd Aquarium and Target.
Write an essay
* 200-300 Words (Grades 4-5)
* 300-400 Words (Grades 6, 7, 8 )
* 500-600 Words (Grades 9-10)
* 600-700 Words (Grades 11-12)
1. Essays may be written English or in Spanish,
2. Essays will be judged on:
1. Originality and creativity
2. Cultural knowledge and research
3. Organizational structure and clarity
4. Spelling and grammar
3. All essays must be accompanied by an “Entry Identification Form”.
4. All Illinois students in grades 4-12 are eligible to enter the essay.
5. 12 winners will be selected by a panel of bilingual judges.
6. All essays become the property of the HISPANIC HERITAGE ORGANIZATION.
7. Essay winners will be announced on Tuesday, September 17, 2010 at the Opening Ceremony of Hispanic Heritage Month.
8. Typed essays must be in a legible 12-point font, no bold letters, and on blank white paper. Essays may be written in cursive or printed, but they must be legible.
Entries must be submitted on or before Tuesday, August 31, 2010 to:
HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH ESSAY CONTEST
P.O. Box 81230, Attn: Manuel Medina
Chicago, Illinois 60681