The official death toll from Super Typhoon Haiyan, which hit the central Philippines, stands at more than 1,700 on Tuesday, while survivors grow more desperate amid shortages of drinking water, food and shelter.
The death toll from last week’s storm is now at 1,744, officials said.
Unofficial estimates and reports from storm-ravaged areas, however, put the death toll much higher.
The United Nations estimates that more than 10,000 people were killed by Haiyan, which hit the Philippines last Friday.
At least 2,487 people were injured in the storm, which lashed the central Philippines with maximum sustained winds greater than 240 kph (150 mph), the national emergency management office said.
Some 10 million people were affected by the typhoon, while at least 660,000 have been displaced, emergency management officials said.
The United Nations on Tuesday called on the international community to provide $301 million worth of storm aid to the Asian nation.
Emergency aid totaling $54 million has been offered to the Philippines, the Philippine Foreign Ministry said, adding that the assistance consists of cash, medical equipment, rescue gear and first aid materials.
President Benigno Aquino declared a nationwide state of calamity Monday as the Southeast Asian archipelago struggles to recover from Haiyan.
Aquino made the announcement in a televised address from the devastated eastern city of Tacloban, on the island of Leyte, where the provincial government estimates some 10,000 people may have died.
At least 70 percent of Tacloban’s buildings, including hangars and the control tower at the city’s airport, were destroyed by the typhoon.