1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to secondary content



TuesdayDecember 18, 2012

Latino Daily News: Bringing You the Latest Hispanic Current Events and News Stories 24/7

To reflect the dynamic interests of our audience, Latino Daily News is an online daily news source and virtual cultural center for and about Latinos. We offer the latest news headlines, as well as innovative and insightful Hispanic current events stories, photos, videos, and commentaries from a Latino perspective, 24/7.

Read More


“IPHONE” Launched in Brazil, Manufacturer Says He Owns Name

“IPHONE” Launched in Brazil, Manufacturer Says He Owns Name

Photo: "IPHONE" Launched in Brazil, Manufacturer Says He Owns Name

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

The Brazilian electronics manufacturer IGB Eletronica on Tuesday launched a line of smartphones it is calling the “IPHONE,” claiming that it owns the intellectual property rights to that name in this country.

IGB Eletronica, which manufacturers products with the Gradiente brand name, announced in a regulatory filing that since 2008 it has possessed the rights in Brazil to the name “IPHONE,” which Apple uses for its product, the world’s best-known mobile smartphone.

The firm also announced that it will take the necessary measures to ensure that its brand rights in Brazil are respected although it did not specify whether that includes filing a lawsuit to prevent Apple from using the name in the South American country.

ImageThe Brazilian company said in its communique that Gradiente on Tuesday began selling the Neo One, the first model in its line of smartphones, in Brazil.

IGB claimed that in 2000 it applied to register the IPHONE name with Brazil’s National Industrial Property Institute and that the license was granted on Jan. 2, 2008.

The cell phone with the IPHONE brand name being offered by Gradiente on its Web page features a 3.7-inch touch-sensitive screen, dual-sim capabilities, 3G, Wi-Fi and bluetooth and it uses Google’s Android 2.3 operating system.

Read more by HS News Staff →

John Leguizamo Comedy Picked Up by ABC, Will be Loosely Based on His Life

John Leguizamo Comedy Picked Up by ABC, Will be Loosely Based on His Life

Photo: John Leguizamo Comedy Picked Up by ABC, Will be Loosely Based on His Life

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

ABC may have passed on one of John Leguizamo’s comedy pilots, but they did grab another of his projects.

The half-hour project is loosely based on the comedian’s life as a father feeling out of place in New York’s Upper West Side after coming from a less-than-spoiled life in the Bronx.

Leguizamo will take on a number of duties for the project including, playing the lead, co-writing, and co-producing.

The scraped project for ABC was to be a remake of the BBC comedy Only Fools and Horses. It was going to be called The Kings of Van Nuys.

Deadline:

Leguizamo will co-write the story for the untitled single-camera comedy with former Family Guy executive producer/co-showrunner Chris Sheridan.

 

Read more by HS News Staff →

Messi Will Stay with FC Barcelona Through June 2018

Messi Will Stay with FC Barcelona Through June 2018

Photo: Messi Will Stay with FC Barcelona Through June 2018

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

Soccer star Lionel Messi has agreed to a new contract with FC Barcelona, and it will keep him with Barca through June 2018.

The 25-year-old from Argentina has proven time and time again how valuable he is both on and off the field.

Earlier this month, Messi broke Gerd Mueller’s 40-year-old record for most goals scored in a single calendar year, scoring 85 goals in 22 games. Over the weekend he netted goals 89 and 90. He is also likely to win his fourth consecutive FIFA Ballon d’Or.

Messi’s previous contract was due to be up in on June 30, 2016, but this new one extends his stay for another two years. It has yet to be disclosed how much Barcelona is paying to keep him, but we’re pretty sure he’ll earn ever penny.

Messi was not the only Barca player to extend his contract. Xavi Hernandez and Carles Puyol agreed to extensions until 2016. Details of each contract have yet not been released.

The club website read, “This news means that FC Barcelona has secured its ties with three of its most important players. Over the course of the next few weeks, Carles Puyol, Xavi Hernandez and Leo Messi will all be signing their respective new contracts.”

The 2012 FIFA Ballon d’Or winner will be announced on January 7. Messi is up against teammate Andres Iniesta and Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo.

Read more by HS News Staff →

‘Les Misérables’ Star Anne Hathaway Sings “Feliz Navidad” (VIDEO)

‘Les Misérables’ Star Anne Hathaway Sings “Feliz Navidad” (VIDEO)

Photo: 'Les Misérables' Star Anne Hathaway Sings "Feliz Navidad"

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

During an interview to promote Les Misérables, Anne Hathaway, who plays Fantine in the film, burst into song, singing “Feliz Navidad.”

Check her out below.

Les Misérables opens Christmas Day, December 25th, and also stars Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean, Amanda Seyfried as Cosette, and Russell Crowe as Javert.

Keep up to date on Twitter with #YoAmoLesMis

Read more by HS News Staff →

LATINO BLOTTER: New Mexico Man Stabbed Because Child Was Too Loud

LATINO BLOTTER: New Mexico Man Stabbed Because Child Was Too Loud

Photo: LATINO BLOTTER: New Mexico Man Stabbed Because Child Was Too Loud

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

A New Mexico man was nearly killed after being stabbed because another man thought his young niece was being too loud.

The victim, who was not named, was in his sister’s Albuquerque apartment with his niece when three men came into the apartment Thursday afternoon.

Prior to the incident, the victim’s sister said her daughter had been running and jumping around in the living room.

Apparently angry about the nose the child was making, 19-year-old Marco Rodriguez and two other men stormed into the apartment. While the two men held the victim, Rodriguez stabbed him.

The victim, who was stabbed multiple times, was taken to the hospital in critical condition.

Rodriguez was arrested and charged with attempted murder. His bond was set at $1,000,000 cash-only.

According to KRQE, Judge Daniel Ramczyk called the allegations in the complaint against Rodriguez “very, very serious” and “difficult to read.”

One of the other men was later identified as 24-year-old Louis Rodriquez. He was also arrested.

Read more by HS News Staff →

They’re BAAACK! Watch the Trailer for ‘The Smurfs 2’ (VIDEO)

They’re BAAACK! Watch the Trailer for ‘The Smurfs 2’ (VIDEO)

Photo: They're BAAACK! Watch the Trailer for 'The Smurfs 2' (VIDEO)

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

Los Pitifos aka the Smurfs are back!

Neil Patrick Harris and Sofia Vergara return for The Smurfs 2.

This time the evil wizard Gargamel (once again played by Hank Azaria) sends his creations, the Naughties, after the Smurfs.

Check out the trailer below.

Read more by HS News Staff →

New President Peña Nieto Outlines Mexico’s Crime-Fighting Plan

New President Peña Nieto Outlines Mexico’s Crime-Fighting Plan

Photo: New President Peña Nieto Outlines Mexico's Crime-Fighting Plan

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto announced Monday a public-safety strategy based on fighting violence with a regional focus and the creation of a national gendarmerie with an initial complement of 10,000 members.

Heading his first National Security Council since taking office Dec. 1, Peña Nieto said the armed forces will continue with their public safety duties while the process of restructuring state police units is being completed.

Conflict among rival drug cartels and between criminals and security forces has claimed some 60,000 lives in Mexico since December 2006, when then-President Felipe Calderon gave the military the leading role in the struggle against the drug trade.

Peña Nieto identified the pillars of the new security policy as planning, crime prevention, respect for human rights, coordination, a revamp of law enforcement and the judiciary, as well as a process of continual evaluation.

Before the security Cabinet, Mexico’s 32 state governors and the judiciary made a call for working “in unison” to restore peace.

After noting that crime is Mexicans’ main worry, Peña Nieto said that the only way to get results is to set clear goals.

He suggested the division of national territory into five operational regions with the objective of addressing the specific problems of each region, an idea that won unanimous approval from the governors at the Security Council meeting.

He also ordered the creation of a national gendarmerie with 10,000 members to undertake the task of strengthening “territorial control of those municipalities with the greatest institutional weakness, as well as of strategic installations like ports, airports and borders.”

Read more by HS News Staff →



TuesdayDecember 18, 2012