1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to secondary content



MondayNovember 12, 2012

Latino Daily News: Bringing You the Latest Hispanic Current Events and News Stories 24/7

To reflect the dynamic interests of our audience, Latino Daily News is an online daily news source and virtual cultural center for and about Latinos. We offer the latest news headlines, as well as innovative and insightful Hispanic current events stories, photos, videos, and commentaries from a Latino perspective, 24/7.

Read More


Honduran Cop Guns Down 5 of His Fellow Police Officers Inside Station

Honduran Cop Guns Down 5 of His Fellow Police Officers Inside Station

Photo: Honduras Map

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

Five Honduran police were killed Monday when one of their colleagues opened fire inside a precinct house in the Caribbean port city of La Ceiba, authorities said.

“(N)on-commissioned officer Elias Mejia entered into the Arrests section and began to shoot at five colleagues,” national police director Juan Carlos Bonilla told the media.

The shooter is in custody, he said.

An investigation is under way to determine “what it was that caused this deed,” Bonilla said, adding that the incident would not stop efforts to purge corrupt, abusive or otherwise unsuitable personnel from the force.

The national police embarked on the housecleaning operation a year ago, prompted by multiple accusations that cops were involved in murders, drug trafficking, extortion, kidnapping and car theft.

Demands for scrutiny of the force became irresistible after police were linked to the murder of the son of a university chancellor.

Nearly a hundred command-level police officers were removed from their posts last month.

Read more by HS News Staff →

Pact May Put End to Long-Standing Arizona School Discrimination Suit

Pact May Put End to Long-Standing Arizona School Discrimination Suit

Photo: Pact May Put End to Long-Standing Arizona School Discrimination Suit

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

Groups representing black and Latino plaintiffs have reached an agreement with the Tucson Unified School District that could bring closure to a 1974 lawsuit over racial segregation in southern Arizona’s public schools, the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund said Monday.

The proposal aims to increase racially and ethnically integrated schools, improve magnet schools and programs to promote integration and educational quality and enhance the racial and ethnic diversity of TUSD’s administrators, teachers and staff, among other goals.

If approved, the plan would also restore courses on Mexican-American history and culture that the TUSD eliminated earlier this year under pressure from the state government, MALDEF Western Regional Counsel Nancy Ramirez said.

“The restoration and expansion of literature and social studies courses that focus on Mexican-American experiences recognizes the important role these courses play in engaging students and improving their academic achievement and graduation rates and is a critical strategy for closing the achievement gap for Latino students,” she said.

The TUSD, the biggest school district in southern Arizona, has a student population that is 60 percent Hispanic.

As part of the legal process for approving the plan announced Monday, three community forums will be held to allow parents to voice their opinions about it.

The comments received about the proposal will be presented before a federal court on Dec. 10, and four days later a response must be given to any objections raised against it.

Sylvia Campoy, a teacher and one of the plaintiffs, told the same press conference that they have high hopes that this proposal will transform the TUSD into a school district “open to the community and responsible for the actions it takes.”

The lawsuit was filed in May 1974 by the NAACP. Five months later a group of Hispanics brought a similar suit.

Read more by HS News Staff →

Bolivia Returns Stolen 700-Year-Old Mummy to Peru

Bolivia Returns Stolen 700-Year-Old Mummy to Peru

Photo: Bolivia Returns Stolen 700-Year-Old Mummy to Peru

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

Two years ago, Bolivian police found the 700-year-old mummy belonging to Peru. Recently, that mummy was returned to Peru.

Bolivian police say the mummy, which was that of a toddler estimated to be about 2 years old at the time of death, was about to be shipped to France by antiquities traffickers.

On Tuesday, the mummy was returned to Peru in an attempt to help the country preserve and protect its cultural heritage. Over the centuries Peru’s ancient artifacts from both the Incas and civilizations predating them have been stolen and sold off.

The mummy was recovered wrapped in five pieces of cloth, though only 2 originally belonged with the body. Looking to add additional value, the smugglers added the leg of another child, as the mummy was missing a leg.

The sex of the mummy could not be confirmed, and the mummy is believed to have come from a pre-Inca culture of coastal Peru. It is about 12 inches (30 cm) tall.

Bolivia’s Culture Minister Pablo Groux officially returned the mummy to Peru on November 6, 2012 and also signed an agreement to improve their cooperation in regards to fighting smugglers of cultural artifacts.

Last year another mummy was returned to Peru. It had been in Germany since the 1980s.

Read more by HS News Staff →

California Girl Survives Being Bitten by Rattlesnakes 6 Times

California Girl Survives Being Bitten by Rattlesnakes 6 Times

Photo: California Girl Survives Being Bitten by Rattlesnakes 6 Times

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

A teenage girl has been released from the hospital after surviving being bitten by snakes 6 times.

On October 27, 16-year-old Vera Oliphant or El Cajon, was visiting her uncle in Jamul, California when she climbed up a hill trying to get cell phone reception to call her mother.

According to the girl, as she was climbing she stepped into a pile of weeds and twigs. That pile then began to rattle, causing her to look down. She quickly realized the rattling was coming from a number of snakes.

The bunch, one adult and five baby rattlesnakes snakes, then began biting her lower leg and foot. Before she lost consciousness, Oliphant was able to stumble back down the hill towards her uncle’s home.

Her uncle drove her to Sharp Grossmont Hospital in La Mesa where she would go into anaphylactic shock twice and lose consciousness four times.

The bites would/could have caused sharp pain, numbness, impaired vision, and loss of consciousness.

In the end, the high school junior was given 24 bottles of antivenin (antivenom) and was in intensive care.

Oliphant was able to return home on October 30.

Doctors say snakes bites usually are not fatal, though some can die if not treated in time.

‘The doctors told me that I need two to three months to completely recover from the bites,’ she told ABC News. ‘But I will feel a weird sensation when stepping on my right leg for years.’

She is currently using a walker to help her get around, but planned to return to school November 12.

Read more by HS News Staff →

LATINO BLOTTER: Man Impersonates Federal Officer to Enter Disney’s Epcot Center for Free

LATINO BLOTTER: Man Impersonates Federal Officer to Enter Disney’s Epcot Center for Free

Photo: LATINO BLOTTER: Man Impersonates Federal Officer to Enter Disney's Epcot Center for Free

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

Police believe 74-year-old Emerito Pujol of Miami tried to avoid paying to enter Disney World’s Epcot Center by pretending to be a federal officer.

On Saturday, police say Pujol tried to enter the Epcot Center by flashing a badge of some kind and casually walking past a staff member. When the staff asked to get a better look, Pujol claimed he was an undercover officer and was looking for someone.

According to police reports, a security officer was then called over and that is when Pujol changed his story. He then claimed he actually “in service” and was “guarding someone important.”

Eventually, Pujol confessed to a deputy that he was lying and just wanted to join his family.

As for the badge he flashed at the staff, it was revealed to say “American Federation of Police Honorary Member”. The AFP is a non-profit organization which helps family member and children of officers killed in the line of duty and promotes the training of police reserves.

Pujol, a professional photographer, has been charged with unlawful use of a police badge, falsely impersonating an officer and petty theft. He posted bond and was released from Orange County Jail.

Read more by HS News Staff →

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor Returns to ‘Sesame Street’ (VIDEO)

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor Returns to ‘Sesame Street’ (VIDEO)

Photo: Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor Returns to 'Sesame Street'

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor recently made another appearance on the children’s program “Sesame Street” to speak with Abby Cadabby about careers.

When asked about her future career, Abby tells Justice Sotomayor she wants to be a princess when she grows up.

A career “is a job you train for, or prepare for and plan on doing for a long time,” Justice Sotomayor explains. Later adding, “Pretending to be a princess is fun, but it is definitely not a career.”

Watch the Justice’s full appearance on below.


Related Videos

Read more by HS News Staff →

Blog del Narco: Taxi Driver and 7 Year Old Daughter Shot in Ambush in Sinaloa

Blog del Narco: Taxi Driver and 7 Year Old Daughter Shot in Ambush in Sinaloa

Photo: Blog del narco: Taxi Driver and 7 year old shot

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

A taxi driver and his seven-year-old daughter were “riddled” with bullets by unknown criminals when they were attacked after leaving their home in Colonia 10 de Mayo.

A witness said, the perpetrators fled on board a Nissan Altima color-black no license plates. The injured were registered as Amezquita Antonio Salazar, 37, and his little Samantha (7).
The adult suffered four wounds in the thoracic region, while the young girl was hit with two bullet holes, one in the leg and one in her chest. Both are reported as being in serious condition.

Antonio and his daughter were aboard a rental vehicle Nissan, with plate number 2382-2380-registered TVB Sinaloa. The incident occurred shortly after 13:00 hours on Sunday.
The shots were fired at close range and apparently the gunmen did not realize that the child accompanied her father.

Witnesses said that the gunmen fled southbound on the road Military College.

Paramedics and Red Cross gave aid to the wounded and transported to a hospital.

Read more at HS News Blog del Narco

Read more in Spanish at Blog del Narco

Read more by HS News Staff →

Kidnapped Colombian Escapes Captors and Walks to Safety with Bullet in His Head

Kidnapped Colombian Escapes Captors and Walks to Safety with Bullet in His Head

Photo: Angel Rodriguez and Wife Mariluz Acosta

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

A man who was kidnapped almost three months go in northern Colombia survived after being shot in the head while escaping from his captors, and managed to reach safety after walking for four days, authorities said.

Cattle rancher and trader Angel Ramon Rodriguez returned under his own power to Riohacha, the capital of the Caribbean province of La Guajira.

A police spokesperson told the press that Rodriguez and his wife Mariluz Acosta, who remains missing, were abducted Aug. 18 from a family ranch in the rural Riohacha area.

The incident was attributed to six armed men in an SUV who seized the couple after tying up several workers on the property.

Dr. Juancho Monroy of the medical center where Rodriguez was admitted told a correspondent for RCN Radio in Riohacha that the former hostage had a bullet wound in the right side of the head that was not serious.

“He’s in stable condition…there’s no evidence of a fracture,” Monroy said.

Read more by HS News Staff →

University of Miami Conducts Largest Study of Heart Attacks & Strokes Amongst Hispanics

University of Miami Conducts Largest Study of Heart Attacks & Strokes Amongst Hispanics

Photo: Hispanic Risks for Heart Attack & Stroke

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

A study published today in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) indicated that many Hispanic/Latino adults living in the United States are at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) or stroke. This risk is highest in men and in older people, born in the US or that have lived in the US more than 10 years, that prefer to speak English, are lower income, or never finished high school.

The study also found that risk of heart attack and stroke among Hispanics is most highly related to smoking and high blood pressure, but other risk factors are important. The treatable risk factors examined were smoking, blood pressure, cholesterol, obesity and diabetes. Using national guidelines as a comparison, the study found that Puerto Ricans are the most likely to have three or more risk factors and these usually include smoking and obesity. Cubans and South Americans are the least likely to have diabetes.

The research findings in JAMA come from the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos, informally called SOL. It is the largest study of Hispanic health ever sponsored by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) with the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute and six other institutes, centers and offices of NIH providing support. SOL’s purpose is to determine the health of Hispanics living in the US and to find out the factors that reduce or increase the risk of chronic disease.

The study examined 16,415 randomly selected Hispanic adults living in Miami, Chicago, New York’s Bronx, and San Diego between 2008 and 2011. This allowed the SOL investigators to examine the health and disease risk of people from different Hispanic backgrounds including Cubans, Dominicans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Central Americans and South Americans.

Read more by HS News Staff →

Obesity Rates Soars Amongst Spanish Women Due to Economic Woes

Obesity Rates Soars Amongst Spanish Women Due to Economic Woes

Photo: Obesity Spanish Women on Rise

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

The rise in female unemployment and the consumption of cheaper and less nutritious food products to adjust household expenditures to reduced incomes are some of the factors responsible for the recent increase in obesity among women in Spain.

That is the result of the study carried out by experts of the European Medical Institute of Obesity, or IMEO, for the World Day Against Obesity, which will take place on Monday and bring attention to what has become one of the main health concerns for modern societies over the past decade.

The latest global statistics on obesity place women in the center of the 21st century epidemic and the report “Generacion XXL” - recently published by the firm IPSOS, which specializes in identifying behaviors, attitudes and opinions in society - says that the number of cases of obesity has shot up during the current crisis.

The psychological effects of the crisis, including anxiety and depression, and the decline in the quality of the food basket due to the reduction in household incomes have resulted in the rise in obesity among Spanish women.

In general, women are more prone to suffer from depression and anxiety, and the current crisis situation, which - for many - has led to a loss of income and resources, is greatly affecting how and what they are eating, IMEO nutrition expert Elisabeth Gonzalez said.

Hormones like estrogen, endogenous opioids, progesterone, testosterone and others form a cocktail that influences modes of behavior, induces feelings of sadness or happiness and makes women “more susceptible to being emotional eaters than men,” Gonzalez said.

Spanish women, however, are concerned about their figures and many undergo weight loss treatments and are engaging in more physical exercise than men, physical trainer and psychologist Sandra Pino said.

Read more by HS News Staff →

Honduran Attorney and 10-Year-Old Son Shot to Death in Capital

Honduran Attorney and 10-Year-Old Son Shot to Death in Capital

Photo: MUrder of Honduran Atty Marlon Cerrato

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

A Honduran attorney and his 10-year-old son were murdered by gunmen in Tegucigalpa, police said.

Marlon Cerrato and his son, whose name was not released, were killed Friday in the Colonia 21 de Octubre district of Tegucigalpa.

The boy was pronounced dead on arrival at the Teaching Hospital in the capital.

At least two gunmen opened fire on the attorney and then fled on a motorcycle, eyewitnesses said.

Cerrato, who practiced law in Tegucigalpa, was the nephew of transit director Armando Gomez, media reports said.

At least 30 lawyers have been murdered in the past 20 months in Honduras, the Human Rights Commission said.

Attorneys Antonio Trejo and Manuel Diaz were murdered on Sept. 22 and Sept. 24, respectively, but the motive for the killings is unknown.

Trejo, a defender of the rights of peasants demanding land to farm in the Caribbean region, was killed by gunmen in Tegucigalpa, while Diaz, a human rights prosecutor, was murdered by gunmen in Choluteca, located in southern Honduras.

Read more by HS News Staff →

Heavy Rains in Dominican Republic Displace Over 10,000 People

Heavy Rains in Dominican Republic Displace Over 10,000 People

Photo: Dominican Republic Floods

Click Here to Enlarge Photo

Dominican emergency authorities reported Sunday that 12,365 people have been forced from their homes and more than 3,000 houses have been destroyed in flooding from intense rains across the northern part of the country over the past two days.

The Emergency Operations Center, or COE, said in a communique that it decreed a yellow alert in eight provinces and issued lesser warnings for two others in the face of the danger of sudden flooding.

Almost all of the displaced people are being put up in the homes of friends and relatives, the COE said, adding that - for the moment - the rains would continue in a large part of the northern Dominican Republic.

The provinces that are under the yellow alert include Montecristi, Dajabon, Santiago Rodriguez, Valverde, Puerto Plata, Espaillat, Maria Trinidad Sanchez and Samana, while Monseñor Nouel and La Vega are under a green alert.

The COE also recommended that small boats remain in port since high seas and abnormally strong winds are being registered along the country’s entire Atlantic coast.

Authorities emphasized that the rains have not caused any known deaths, and they recommended that the public continue to follow the precautionary measures and recommendations mentioned in the periodic COE bulletins.

Read more by HS News Staff →



MondayNovember 12, 2012