Spanish language network Univisión has established itself as the new player in the war for network ratings.
Within the next five years, its goal is to develop strategies based on producing original content, as well as nurturing among their employees a impending need to dethrone CBS, ABC and NBC from the top of the ratings pyramid.
“We expect to be the number one net in this country in five years,” Univisión Networks president Cesar Conde said in a Q&A session at a NATPE (National Association of Television Program Executives) conference in the city of Miami.
“What we have to do is instill that hunger to be number one in our staff and then we have to have flawless execution,” Conde added.
Both Conde and his counterpart at Telemundo Don Browne recognized and payed emphasis on the need for original content that is relevant, provocative for and reflective of their audiences.
“We have to push the envelope when it comes to programming,” Conde said.
As for the ad market, it keeps growing, and growing, and growing.
“In 2050 one of every three Americans will be Hispanic,” Browne, who was interviewed second, pointed out.
“The ad buying community is going to say ‘Wow.’ It’s a significant game-changer in our country. Perhaps the biggest in the history of our media,” Browne told attendees.
Browne, a former NBC executive has worked for the last four years on turning Telemundo from an acquirer to a producer of content.
“We now produce content and that has made all the difference. Passionate, talented people are now knocking on our door,” Browne said.
The state of the market today….
• Univision Network is one of America’s top networks, regardless of language.
• In major markets across the nation, Univision stations consistently outdelivers other stations, regardless of language.
• TeleFutura is one of the fastest growing networks in the U.S. and in fact it is the #2 Spanish-language network in key dayparts.
• Galavisión is the #1 Spanish-language cable network.
• Univision Radio is the #1 Spanish-language radio group.
• Univision Interactive Media is the leading Spanish-language digital group in the United States which includes Univision.com, the #1 U.S. Spanish-language online portal.
Read more by HS News Staff →