1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to secondary content



SaturdayJuly 10, 2010

Latino Daily News: Bringing You the Latest Hispanic Current Events and News Stories 24/7

To reflect the dynamic interests of our audience, Latino Daily News is an online daily news source and virtual cultural center for and about Latinos. We offer the latest news headlines, as well as innovative and insightful Hispanic current events stories, photos, videos, and commentaries from a Latino perspective, 24/7.

Read More


217,000 Salvadoran Immigrants Stay in U.S Extended

The Temporary Protected Status (TPS) first granted nine years ago to Salvadoran immigrants has been extended for 18 months, to March 9, 2012, the office of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services announced Friday.

TPS, which entitles beneficiaries to a work permit, can be conferred on immigrants from countries devastated by natural disasters or armed conflict.

Salvadoran migrants received the favored status in 2001, after their country experienced two powerful earthquakes within the space of a month.

The decision to extend TPS for 217,000 Salvadorans was greeted with joy by the Central American nation’s ambassador in Washington, Francisco Altschul.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano concluded that the conditions which first prompted the grant of TPS to migrants of El Salvador persist, USCIS said, while noting that the benefit is not available to Salvadorans who entered the United States after Feb. 13, 2001, the date of the second of the twin earthquakes.

The USCIS announcement “brings peace and tranquility to Salvadoran families, since they will be able to continue working and contributing so much to the economy of the U.S. and to that of El Salvador,” Altschul said, alluding to the remittances sent home by the immigrants.

The embassy in Washington and the 16 Salvadoran Consulates around the United States are already gearing up to help TPS holders submit their renewal applications, the ambassador said. EFE

Read more at EFE Ingles →

Brazilian Soccer Star Implicated in Dismemberment Murder of a One Night Stand

Brazilian soccer star and team captain of the Flamengo team, Bruno Souza and others have been charged in the brutal death of Eliza Samudio.  Eliza Samudio was reported to be the mother of Souza’s four-month old child that resulted after a one-night stand last year. 

Souza did not want to claim paternity and had violently insisted that Samudio get rid of the baby.  When refusing he forced her to take abortion inducing drugs, an October police report shows.  When that did not stop Samudio from claiming Souza as the father he hired someone to dispose of her.

The police investigation allege he hired a former police detective and engaged his wife and other family members in the kidnapping, torture and dismemberment of Samudio.  It is suspected that Samudio was strangled then dismembered with body pieces fed to dogs.

Read more at NY Post →

A Peruvian Born, US based Journalist, Russian Spy arrives in Moscow- HUH?

Given 24 hours to decide whether to accept the “all or nothing” offer to either leave for Moscow or spend years behind bars in the US- they chose Russia. 
Vicky Pelaez (55) who worked at El Diario La Prensa in New York as a journalist and Juan Lazaro (aka Mihail Vasenkov) 66, who taught classes in Latin American and Caribbean Politics at Baruch College have been married for over 30 years and were living in New York.
By all accounts they were every bit a normal couple and seemed very much in love.

The questions remains - What did she know?  Did she even know his real name?

Her lawyer said Thursday his client “seemed shocked” to learn that Juan Lazaro was not her husband’s real name. “I don’t believe she knew he had another name,” Rodriguez said.
Her son staunchly defends her innocence. “The only Russian thing that she likes is vodka with passion fruit.” Said Waldo Marsical, 38 an architect.

The couple’s 17- year old son Juan Jr has said he wants to stay in the US. Where exactly is uncertain as the family would loose their home since it was paid for by the Russians.

Indications are that the espionage began in the 1990’s. Pelaez is accused of flying to a south American country to received Russian funds in 2000, Lazaro received money in the same park in 2007.

Pelaez and Lazaro (Vasenkov) arrive in Moscow today. With her children’s future uncertain, Pelaez and her boys hope to reunite someday “at the nice adobe house in Peru that my mother built little by little.”

Read more at Comcast/AP →

67,000 Left Jobless in Chile from February’s Massive Earthquake

This week the Chilean government released it damage assessment of the massive 8.8 earthquake that occurred on February 27, 2010.  According to the International Labor Organization of Chile,  89,000 jobs were lost and some 22,000 gained in reconstruction work, netting a loss of 67,000 jobs.

Most of the jobs lost were in the retail, hospitality and the food industry.  Many businesses continue to struggle to reopen 5 months after the quake.  The afternoon, 90 second quake devastated the central southern region of the country leaving an estimated 520 people dead, hundreds of aftershocks and massive damage to buildings and infrastructure.

Read more at La Prensa →

Betancourt will NOT sue Colombian Government

UPDATE 7/12/10: Former Presidential Candidate and hostage- Ingrid Betancourt said Sunday she has no intention of suing the Colombian government for damages. She does hold the government partially responsible for her kidnapping as they pulled her bodyguards and denied her access to a helicopter, which could have allowed her to avoid the rebel-controlled roads she was seized on. She has stressed though that she has no intention of suing the government for her six years spent as a hostage.

On the two year anniversary of her release from the Revolutionary Armed Forces (FARC) guerrilla’s, former captive Ingrid Betancourt is suing the Colombian government for $6.5M for her emotional duress and loss of wages.  Betancourt was campaigning for the Presidency when she was kidnapped in 2002, in the southern Capqueta region, though she been warned her safety could not be guaranteed in the region. 

She was held captive for six years in a daring rescue operation conducted in the jungle by Colombian law enforcement.  Colombian reaction has been mostly negative.  The government stated its law enforcement officers risked their lives in the rescue operations and many Colombian people see this as an act of ingratitude. 

Read more at Reuters Africa →

Large Scale Drug Raids Occur Throughout Puerto Rico

In an effort to stem the tide of drug trafficking occurring in Puerto Rico and the flow of illegal drugs coming from South America, a large scale drug raid was conducted on the island.  Over 500 U.S. drug agents, Puerto Rican police and several Caribbean law enforcement agency’s swept through the island mostly in the western coastal areas.

The western coastal area and specifically the city of Mayaguez was a focal point of the raids because it is considered a key point of entry for drugs coming from South American and Caribbean nations.  In addition, several large housing projects on the island were raided as distribution points for illegal drugs.  Law enforcement had roughly 158 arrest warrants to enforce and seize millions of dollars in property as part of its mandate while conducting the raids. 

Read more at Deseret News →



SaturdayJuly 10, 2010