Today in Latin American History
The Battle of Buena Vista Took Place in 1847
Photo: Battle of Buena Vista
Today in Latin American history, the Battle of Buena Vista occurred when 5,000 American troops defeated 15,000 Mexicans in 1847.
The Battle of Buena Vista was the most dramatic fight of the U.S.-Mexican War.
After the Battle of Monterey in September 1846, President James K. Polk ordered the bulk of Taylor’s veterans and regulars to join an expedition under General Winfield Scott, who would land at Vera Cruz and march on Mexico City. Taylor was to defend his position near Saltillo with 5,000 inexperienced troops.
Other events that occurred on this day:
- Today in LatAm history, former President of Peru Victor Raúl Haya de la Torre who was in office 1978-79 was born in 1895
- Today in LatAm history, former President of Venezuela Rómulo Betancourt who was in office 1945-48 was born in 1908
- Today in LatAm history, former President of the Dominican Republic Hipólito Mejía who was in office 2000-04 was born in 1941
- Today in LatAm history, Puerto Rican tennis player Gigi Fernandez who won 2 Olympic Gold medals was born in 1964
- Today in LatAm history, Brazilian footballer Juninho Paulista who played for the National team & Middlesbrough was born in 1973
- Today in LatAm history, Argentine footballer Sergio Romero who plays for the National team & Sampdoria was born in 1987
- Today in LatAm history, Mexican footballer Efraín Juárez who plays for the National team & Club América was born in 1988