Today in Latin American History
Spanish Architect Antoni Gaudí was Born in 1852
Photo: Sagrada Familia (Antoni Gaudi)
Today in Latin American history, Spanish architect Antoni Gaudí was born in 1852.
Between 1984 and 2005, seven of his works were declared World Heritage Sites by UNESCO.
Gaudí‘s works reflect his highly individual and distinctive style and are largely concentrated in the Catalan capital of Barcelona, notably his magnum opus, the Sagrada Família.
Construction on the church Sagrada Família began in 1882 and has an estimated completion of 2026.
Other events that occurred on this day:
- Today in LatAm history, Obregon’s Army defeated Huerta forces at the Mexican Battle of Orendain in 1914
- Today in LatAm history, Mexican actress Beatriz Sheridan whose work was awarded by UNESCO was born in 1934
- Today in LatAm history, diplomatic relations between the Soviet Union & Colombia were established in 1935
- Today in LatAm history, Puerto Rican baseball player Carlos Delgado who played for the New York Mets was born in 1972
- Today in LatAm history, Argentine-born Italian singer, actress and model Lola Ponce was born in 1977