Today in Latin American History
Panama Separated from Spain and Joined Gran Colombia in 1821
Today in Latin American history, Panama gained independence from Spain and joined Gran Colombia in 1821.
In an open town meeting Panama was declared a sovereign entity and was freed from the control of the Spanish Monarchy.
Other events that occurred on this day:
- Today in LatAm history, Argentinian saxophonist Gato Barbieri who is known for Latin jazz was born in 1932
- Today in LatAm history, Puerto Rican baseball player Sixto Lezcano who played for the Milwaukee Brewers was born in 1953
- Today in LatAm history, Mexican film director Alfonso Cuarón who directed films like Harry Potter, Y Tu Mamá También, and Children of Men was born in 1961
- Today in LatAm history, Peruvian footballer José del Solar who played & managed the National team was born in 1967
- Today in LatAm history, Brazilian basketball player Leandro Barbosa who plays for the Boston Celtics was born in 1982
- Today in LatAm history, Paraguayan footballer Nelson Haedo Valdez who plays for the National team & Valencia CF was born in 1983
- Today in LatAm history, Uruguayan footballer Álvaro Pereira who plays for the National team & Inter Milan was born in 1985