Today in Latin American History
Mexican Luchador Karloff Lagarde aka the “King of the Welterweight” was Born in 1928
Photo: Karloff Lagarde
Today in Latin American history, Mexican Luchador Karloff Lagarde known as “king of the Welterweight” was born in 1928.
He was known by this title due to him holding the Mexican National Welterweight Championship four times and the NWA World Welterweight Championship three times in his career.
Lagarde teamed up with René Guajardo to form a tag team known as Los Rebeldes, considered to be one of the top five tag teams in Lucha libre history.
Other events that occurred on this day:
- Today in LatAm history, General Isidro Barradas led Spanish forces to Mexico hoping to reestablish control in 1829
- Today in LatAm history, Puerto Rican politician José Celso Barbosa who sought Puerto Rican statehood was born in 1857
- Today in LatAm history, en route to Panama the SS Golden Gate caught fire & sank off of Mexico killing 231 in 1862
- Today in LatAm history, Welsh settlers arrived at Chubut in Argentina to form the Y Wladfa settlement in 1865
- Today in LatAm history, Peruvian investigative journalist Ricardo Uceda known for reporting on corruption was born in 1954
- Today in LatAm history, Paraguayan footballer José Luis Chilavert who played for the National team & Club Atlético Vélez Sarsfield was born in 1965