Today in Latin American History
First European Stepped Foot on Brazil in 1500
Today in Latin American history, Vicente Yáñez Pinzón became the first European to set foot on Brazil in 1500.
The Spanish explorer, who had commanded the Nina during Christopher Columbus’ first expedition to the New World, reached the northeastern coast of Brazil during a voyage under his command.
Pinzon’s journey produced the first recorded account of a European explorer sighting the Brazilian coast; though whether or not Brazil was previously known to Portuguese navigators is still in dispute.
Other events that occurred on this day:
- Today in LatAm history, Dominican founding father Juan Pablo Duarte who worked for independence from Haiti was born in 1813
- Today in LatAm history, former President of Honduras José Azcona del Hoyo who was in office 1986-1990 was born in 1927
- Today in LatAm history, Mexican boxer Salvador Sánchez who was the Featherweight champion was born in 1958
- Today in LatAm history, Mexican footballer José de Jesús Corona who plays for the National team & Cruz Azul was born in 1981
- Today in LatAm history, Brazilian swimmer Thiago Pereira who won a Silver medal at the 2012 Olympics was born in 1986