Today in Latin American History
First Episode of “I Love Lucy” Starring Cuban Desi Arnaz & Lucille Ball Aired in 1951
Photo: "I Love Lucy"
Today in Latin American history, the first episode of “I Love Lucy” starring Cuban Desi Arnaz & Lucille Ball aired in 1951.
Lucy insisted that Desi play her husband, much to the dismay of CBS, whose executives believed that audiences would not believe the marriage between an all-American girl and a Latin man.
“I Love Lucy” was the most watched show in the United States in four of its six seasons, “I Love Lucy” is still syndicated in dozens of languages across the world.
The black-and-white series originally ran until May 6, 1957.
Other events that occurred on this day:
- Today in LatAm history, Mexican soldiers kill Victorio, one of the greatest Apache military strategists in 1880
- Today in LatAm history, Mexican footballer Jorge Campos who played & managed the National team was born in 1966
- Today in LatAm history, Brazilian actress Bianca Rinaldi known for acting many telenovelas was born in 1974
- Today in LatAm history, Ecuadorian footballer Patricio Urrutia who plays for the National team & Liga de Quito was born in 1977
- Today in LatAm history, Brazilian Formula 1 racing driver Bruno Senna who races for the Williams F1 Team was born in 1983