Today in Latin American History
First Edition of Don Quixote is Published in 1605
Photo: Don Quixote
Today in Latin American history, the first edition of ”El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha” (Book 1 of Don Quixote) by Miguel de Cervantes was published in Madrid, Spain in 1605.
The novel follows the adventures of Alonso Quijano, an hidalgo who reads so many chivalric novels, that he decides to set out to revive chivalry under the name of Don Quixote.
The story of Don Quixote was published in two volumes a decade apart, in 1605 and 1615, and is often considered the most influential work of literature in the Spanish language.
Other events that occurred on this day:
- Today in LatAm history, Cuban leader Fulgencio Batista who serves as both President and Dictator until overthrown by Fidel Castro was born in 1901
- Today in LatAm history, former President of Chile Eduardo Frei Montalva who was in office 1964-1970 was born in 1911
- Today in LatAm history, former President of Brazil Francisco de Paula Rodrigues Alves who was in office 1902-1906 died in 1919
- Today in LatAm history, Mexican actress Katy Jurado who had a successful film career both in Mexico and in Hollywood was born in 1924
- Today in LatAm history, Dominican baseball player Albert Pujols who plays for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim was born in 1980
- Today in LatAm history, Argentine footballer Pablo Zabaleta who plays for the National team & Manchester City was born in 1985
- Today in LatAm history, Mexican footballer Jorge Torres Nilo who plays for the National team & UNAL was born in 1988