Today in Latin American History
Chilean Dictator Augusto Pinochet Was Born in 1915
Photo: Augusto Pinochet
Today in Latin American history, Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet was born in 1915. Pinochet was an army general and dictator of Chile from 1973 until transferring power to a democratically elected president in 1990.
By the time of his death on in 2006, about 300 criminal charges were still pending against him in Chile for numerous human rights violations, tax evasion, and embezzlement during his 17-year rule and afterwards.
Other events that occurred on this day:
- Today in LatAm history, the Mirabal sisters, who were Dominican dissidents, were assassinated in 1960
- Today in LatAm history, Domincan baseball player Octavio Dotel who pitches for the Detroit Tigers was born in 1973
- Today in LatAm history, Brazilian mixed martial artist Mauricio Rua who is currently ranked #4 in the world was born in 1981
- Today in LatAm history, US Attorney General Edwin Meese announced that profits from covert weapons sales to Iran were illegally diverted to the anti-communist Contra rebels in Nicaragua in 1986
- Today in LatAm history, the United Nations established the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women to commemorate the murder of three Mirabal Sisters in 1999