Today in Latin American History
Argentine footballer Lionel Messi was Born in 1987
Photo: Lionel Messi
Today in Latin American history, Argentine footballer Lionel Messi who plays for the National team & FC Barcelona was born in 1987.
Messi has been regarded as the best footballer in the world and as one of the greatest players in history.
By the age of 21, Messi had received Ballon d’Or and FIFA World Player of the Year nominations.
By the age of 25, Messi became the youngest player to score 200 La Liga goals.
In 2012, Messi became the only player in history to win the Ballon d’Or four times (2009, 2010, 2011, & 2012).
Other events that occurred on this day:
- Today in LatAm history, the decisive Battle of Carabobo in the war of independence of Venezuela from Spain in 1821
- Today in LatAm history, Argentine politician & former Interior Minister Dr. Guillermo Rawson was born in 1821
- Today in LatAm history, Argentine Formula 1 race car driver Juan Manuel Fangio who had 23 Grand Prix wins was born in 1911
- Today in LatAm history, Argentine writer Ernesto Sabato known as “last classic writer” was born in 1911
- Today in LatAm history, Argentine tango singer Carlos Gardel who was influential in the history of Tango died in 1935
- Today in LatAm history, former President of Chile Eduardo Frei Ruiz-Tagle who was in office 1994-00 was born in 1942
- Today in LatAm history, Argentine footballer Juan Roman Riquelme who played for the National team & Boca Juniors was born in 1978
- Today in LatAm history, Brazilian footballer Cicinho who played for the National team & Sport Club do Recife was born in 1980
- Today in LatAm history, Brazilian footballer Diego Alves Carreira who plays for the National team & Valencia CF was born in 1985