Today in Latin American History
An 8.2 Earthquake and Tsunami Attacks Colombia and Ecuador in 1979
Photo: Tumaco earthquake damage
Today in Latin American history, an 8.2 earthquake and tsunami kill nearly 600 people in Colombia and Ecuador in 1979.
The epicenter was just offshore from the border between Ecuador and Colombia, near the port city of Tumaco.
Other events that occurred on this day:
- Today in LatAm history, Our Lady of Guadalupe appeared to Juan Diego in Mexico for the second time in 1531
- Today in LatAm history, former President of Mexico Miguel de la Madrid who was in office from 1982 - 1988 was born in 1934
- Today in LatAm history, Brazilian race car driver Emerson Fittipaldi who won the Formula 1 world championship twice and the Indy 500 twice was born in 1946
- Today in LatAm history, Brazilian martial artist Royce Gracie who is an influential figure in the history of modern MMA was born in 1966
- Today in LatAm history, Peruvian footballer Nolberto Solano who played for the National team & Newcastle United was born in 1974