Hispanic Health News
Health Tip: Take Care to Avoid Burns
Photo: Practice safety in the kitchen
Practice kitchen safety
Nothing can spoil the fun of preparing your favorite recipe like burning yourself or a child in the process.
The U.S. Home Safety Council suggests these kitchen safety precautions while cooking:
* Roll up shirtsleeves or wear a short-sleeved shirt.
* Wear long oven mitts that extend up the arm.
* Cook on back burners, with pot handles turned to the rear of the stove.
* Teach children to stay away from the stove, and use a mark (such as a piece of tape on the floor) that they can’t cross.
* Don’t let young children use the stove or microwave without supervision; make sure older children know how to use these appliances safely.
* Keep matches, lighters and candles where young children can’t reach them.