Boxers may train to fight in a boxing ring, but when a group of men armed with golf clubs attack a boxer, it can be hard to walk away unscathed.
At around 4:30 a.m. Saturday morning, Jr. welterweight Nicholas Ramon Casal, 26, was out with his girlfriend in Niagra Falls, NY when a group of men brutally beat him with golf clubs as the couple walked to the car.
Casal had been preparing for the biggest fight of his career: a June 29th bout against Ruslan Provodnikov for the WBO Inter-Continental title. The fight was to be the main even of a nationally televised night that was to appear on ESPN2’s Friday Night Fights.
Unfortunately, the attack understandably caused the bout’s cancellation and Ray Casal said is son “is very upset” about missing the chance to fight in front of ESPN cameras.
Police reportedly have names of some involved in the beating and one is said to be the ex-boyfriend of Casal’s girlfriend.
The group left a number of extremely gruesome wounds on the Casal’s head, many so deep doctors were amazed he had no brain damage. Surprisingly, despite the deepness of the cuts, his skull was not cracked. He had a possible broken arm and numerous lacerations, and one of the head gashes was at least 12 inches long.
Doctors believe Casal will make a full recovery and his father says his son just wanting to get better so he can get back in the ring.
‘As his father, I don’t care whether he boxes ever again or not, ’Ray Casal told the Associated Press. ‘He’s alive. Thank God for that.’
Photos of the head wound can be seen here, but WARNING: The photos are very graphic. (NSFW)