Ways to encourage physical activity
Getting daily exercise is a practice that should begin in childhood, many experts say.
The American Academy of Pediatrics has this advice for encouraging physical activity among kids:
* Meet with your child’s pediatrician so he can talk with you and your child about how important physical activity is for everyone’s health.
* Promote a sport or other age-appropriate activity that your child likes, or an activity that the family can enjoy together.
* Create a safe place where your child can exercise and play, and offer toys that encourage physical activity.
* Be active yourself by making time for exercise and playing with your child.
* Limit TV and computer time for the entire family.
* Teach your child not to push too hard—exercise should be fun, not painful.